Instagram Reels: What You Need To Know
Move over TikTok. Instagram’s just launched a new short-form video feature that’s set to keep all the kids dancing. Instagram Reels lets users record and edit 15-second multi-clip videos with speed control, visual effects, and even more ways to create.
Remember when Instagram Stories launched back in 2016? Tons of Snapchat users abandoned ship to create and share more content on Instagram. We could expect a similar surge in IG traffic as the magic of TikTok is now possible with Reels.
Built right into the Instagram app, Reels exists in a separate tab on your profile, just like IGTV. (If you don’t see it, make sure your app is up to date.) Ready to dive in?
View this post on Instagram
Get creating with Instagram ReelsOpen your Instagram camera to find Reels at the bottom of your screen. Editing tool options will be on the left:
- Audio - Use songs from the Instagram music library or record your own original audio to add sounds to your reels.
- AR Effects - Make your videos epic by using different effects for multiple clips. Possibilities are limitless with hundreds of awesome effects in the gallery.
- Timer & Countdown - Record hands-free clips using the timer feature. A convenient countdown ensures you’re ready for action.
- Align - Create seamless transitions with this cool “ghosting” feature that lets you line up clips with the previous one. (You might remember something similar on the Vine app, or maybe we’re just exposing our age? 😉)
- Speed - Slow down or speed up part of the video or audio you select.
Share your reels publicly or privately
If your account is private, only your followers can see your reel. Reels can’t be shared outside of your followers, nor can any of your original audio. If public, you can share your reels to your feed and to Explore. Your reels may appear on pages based on hashtags, songs, or effects for the larger Instagram community to discover. Pretty cool, huh? When you’re ready to share a reel, move to the share screen. Here you can save a draft, choose a cover image, and add captions and hashtags.
Don’t forget to tag your friends! If you opt to share to your Feed, you’ll also see your reel on your main profile grid. Reels shared to Stories will disappear in 24 hours.